Monday, September 7, 2009

Rest In Peace Jose "Nasty Nes" Carrera

I originally met Jose while working on a mural together in Little Haiti in the summer of 2004. He had recently been released from prison after serving a 4 year bid for attempted murder. You wouldn't have guessed it because he was the nicest dude. He always had a smile on his face and was more than happy to give us younger dudes advise. He would tell us stories about the old school days and could not stop talking about his children who were the most important thing in his life and cared about more than anything in this world.
Not only was Jose a talented graffiti artist, he was also an incredible tattoo artist. Jose had done some work on my friend Adam and I was blown away by his color techniques and unique style. I tried to get in some work from him but due to schedule conflicts we were never able to link up, something that I will now regret for the rest of my life. In a year that seems to have had way too many deaths, none, not even the passing of Michael Jackson, seem as significant as this one. Jose "Nasty Nes" Carrera. MSG crew and Ocho Placas fam FOREVER.

"Nasty Nes" tribute by ABSTRK

No comments: